When considering dental implants, aside from all the confusion of should you, shouldn’t you, are all the technicalities surrounding it and dentistry. This condenses everything you need to know in one place so you can easily refer at any time:
- Dental implants: A prosthetic replacement for teeth the root of which is titanium
- Osseointegration: The process within which the bone attaches itself around the titanium root and merge.
- Crown: The visible part of your tooth, which is the enamel.
The dental implants themselves come in 3 parts:
- The implant: The device itself which is embedded into the bone.
- Abutment: The conjoining piece to the final part
- Crown/Denture: The final piece in the implant which completes the process
Titanium is the widely used metal for the purpose of manufacturing dental implants primarily because, it has the unusual property of being able to attach to the bone. Although other types of metals may be considered for use in the future, they have not been fully tested for safe usage.Since the discovery of dental implants in Sweden dating back to the 1960’s, they have become a popular choice amongst many patients suffering from tooth loss.
Everyone cannot however, be considered suitable for an implant and the best way to determine this is following a discussion with your dentist. If the procedure is detrimental to your health, you can always discuss other options. At Montreal International Clinic in particular, we put your health first and help you make the best decisions taking your situation into careful consideration.
Get not only your smile, but also your confidence and winning attitude back!