The goal of neuro spinal surgery is to be minimally invasive. It is a procedure to stabilize spinal joints and vertebral bones and relieve pressure that is applied to spinal nerves. Compared to an open procedure, there are potential benefits of minimally invasive spinal surgery which include the following:
- With skin incisions as small as two centimeters, the cosmetic results are better/
- There is less loss of blood.
- Since no cutting is required the risk of damaging your muscles is reduced.
- Reduced pain and risk of infection.
- Quicker recovery.
- Less rehabilitation.
- Less dependence on pain medication.
Some neuro spinal surgeries can be performed as outpatient procedures. Surgeons will utilize local anesthesia. This means there is less chance of having an adverse reaction during or after the procedure.
What are common spinal conditions that can be treated at Montreal International Clinic?
- Spinal deformities
- Spinal instability/Spinal infections
- Vertebral fractures
- Degenerative disc disease
- Herniated disc
- Spinal tumours to name a few
How does surgery work?
Because the vertebra, spinal nerves and disc are situated deep inside your body, some muscle tissue may need to be moved out of the way just to gain access to the area. A small incision is made to the particular area in your spine using a microscopic video camera to guide the instrument through. It is a delicate process, but one that our highly qualified and trained neurosurgeons are competent to do. We guarantee you are in safe hands.