At the Montreal International Clinics Dubai, we make it our priority to take care of your teeth and manage your oral health. Our team of Dentist in Dubai emphasizes the importance of ongoing hygiene procedures and daily practices to prevent tooth decay and other dental diseases and conditions that are critical in preventive dentistry. Effective preventive dentistry combines, at-home oral care of patients with chair-side treatments and counselling by our dental professionals. By practicing preventive dentistry, you can safeguard yourself from various types of dental treatments and exorbitant dental costs.
The Montreal International Clinics in Dubai recommend a minimum of two dental checkups each year for professional cleaning and management of any developing dental conditions. Adhering to these recommendations and visiting our dentist in Dubai for a check-up, will help stop dental disease in its earliest stages, protecting your beautiful smile.
Preventive dentistry is important for adults as well as children and encompass a number of in-office and home care options, which include,
- At-home oral hygiene – Regular brushing and flossing at least twice a day to remove dental plaque, a film-like coating that forms on your teeth, is the most important part of preventive dentistry. If proper dental at home dental hygiene is not followed, it can cause tooth decay and lead to gum disease.
- Fluoride – Fluoride strengthens teeth and prevents tooth decay. Fluoride application is provided in dental offices, and our dentists in Dubai recommend using fluoride toothpastes and mouth rinses at home.
- Healthy diet – A well balanced, healthy diet is a dental essential. Food that contains sugar, and carbohydrates feed the bacteria that produce dental plaque, while calcium-poor diets increase the development of gum disease and jaw deterioration. Beverages such as coffee and alcohol, cause tooth discoloration that cannot be removed with teeth whitening products.
- Regular dental visits – Since dental conditions are painless and are not often visible, if you don’t visit the dentist regularly, you may not be aware of dental problems until they are at an aggressive stage and can cause irrevocable damage. For best results, schedule regular dental check-ups every six months and more often if you’re at higher risk for oral diseases. Dental check-ups are mandatory for children as well, as soon as their teeth erupt.
- Dental cleanings and screenings – A dental cleaning should be performed every six months to remove dental plaque, stains and to check for signs of tooth decay.
- Mouth guards – Custom made mouth guard prescribed by our dentist will provide a better fit at night or can be worn to protect your teeth during contact sports or to prevent teeth grinding (bruxism).
- Orthodontics – Orthodontic Treatment in Dubai is carried out to treat a bad bite, which can impair eating and speaking, and crooked teeth, that are hard to keep clean. Correcting an improper bite with orthodontics may include the use of dental braces or invisible braces such as Invisalign.
- Sealants – A thin composite coating that is placed on the surface of the teeth to protect them from decay, especially in children.
- Avoid smoking – Smoking causes dry mouth, tooth discoloration and plaque buildup, smoking causes gum disease, tooth loss and oral cancer.
Importance of Fluoride Application
Fluoride is absorbed easily into tooth enamel and strengthens the tooth structure, making teeth more resistant to decay. Fluoride application repairs or remineralizes areas in which decay has already begun, thus reversing the process and creating a decay-resistant tooth surface.
Fluoride is available in two forms, topical and systemic. Topical fluorides strengthen existing teeth, making them more decay-resistant. Topical fluorides include toothpastes, mouth rinses and professionally applied fluoride therapies. Systemic fluorides are ingested into the body and incorporate into forming tooth structures. Systemic fluorides include public water fluoridation or dietary fluoride supplements in the form of tablets, drops or lozenges. However, make sure to consult with our dentist in Dubai prior using a fluoride application.
Some of the latest technology that is used for dental disease prevention include, Intraoral cameras, digital radiography, air abrasion and diagnostic tools such as caries I.D. and Diagnodent help detect dental caries at the earliest stage before they progress further.
Some of the benefits of preventive dentistry include,
- Better overall health as oral health is linked to an individual’s overall health.
- Prevention of oral diseases, which can interfere with eating, speaking, daily activities and self-esteem.
- Prevent severe tooth decay in children as it can affect growth and development.
- Less extensive, and less expensive treatment for any dental conditions that may develop and protect an individual’s natural teeth.
We help you take good care of your teeth. Keeping your teeth and gums healthy can help you avoid more serious oral health problems in the future.